WASHINGTON – The White House said Thursday it is abandoning plans to create an infrastructure advisory council, a day after an embattled President Trump announced he was scrapping two other jobs-related groups in the wake of defections from business leaders over his comments about violence in Charlottesville, Va.
“The President’s Advisory Council on Infrastructure, which was still being formed, will not move forward,” the White House said in a statement.
The administration had announced creation of the council last month to advise Trump on how best to spend government money on infrastructure projects.
The announcement Trump would disband the council came during what officials had dubbed “infrastructure week” – including an event on Tuesday in which Trump announced an executive order designed to streamline the permit process for road and bridge projects.
At that same ceremony, Trump ignited a political firestorm by saying “both sides” were responsible for weekend violence in Charlottesville that accompanied a white supremacist march to protest the removal of a Robert E. Lee statue. An alleged white nationalist was charged with murder after a hit-and-run into a crowd of counter-protesters that left a 32-year-old woman dead and 19 people injured.
As a steady stream of CEOs protested the president’s remarks by resigning from his Manufacturing Council, Trump announced over Twitter on Wednesday he was ending that council and his Strategic and Policy Forum.